Hi,

I hope that we can talk about this in this community: I am currently
playing around with Vaadin and I would like to understand the basic
principles.
I know that Vaadin uses GWT to render the GUI at the client. But there
seems to be another fundamental difference...

In GWT you always have the distinction between server side and client side.
At server side you can include third party java libraries, while at client
side you can control the GUI in the browser, but you have no access to your
server side stuff, e. g. database and that. If you need access to it, you
have to make a RPC call.

In Vaadin, at the first sight, there seems to be no such differentiation.
There is just a piece of code, like the one generated by the eclipse
project wizard, and the app shows up in the browser. There is no
distinction between server and client side code.
You *can* do client side development, but you do not need to. The code
generated by the eclipse wizard reminds of a good old "Hello World" code. A
few lines and it works. No RPC call to the server.

But how does this work? How can I understand this? How gets all the GUI
stuff to the browser? How can it be that everything is server-side, even
the GUI code?

Thanks
Magnus