Hi Thomas,
  I just tried gwt-gradle-plugin. It addresses my need perfectly. However,
I enable the JPDA debugging slightly differently than the method mentioned
in the document. I create the gwtDevDebug to extend gwtDev  and
setDebug(true), which is more clear and easier than the -D system property.

  To show case the power of gwt-gradle-plugin and some undocumented
features, I created a GWT get started project here:
https://github.com/schnell18/gwt-gs on Github as well as this gist
<https://gist.github.com/schnell18/551dbc967a4bffda7c94> to bootstrap a new
GWT with gwt-gradle-plugin to build.

  Thank you very much for the information!