Ok, I'll try to use separated servers for code server and server side.

Regarding the monolithic .js, in GWT 1.6 it was impossible to debug in both
Chrome and Firefox - they both crashed, and I always suspected that the js
/ sourcemap file were too big.
Now with GWT 2.7 I can debug normally in Chrome (didn't try in Firefox
yet).
Still I guess it could be faster to debug using separated .js files.
However, as this is no longer GWT's goal, ok.
At least now debugging in Chrome is usable, and I no longer need that old
version of Firefox 26 which still runs the classic dev mode.