Hello there,

I decided to give GWT 2.7 a quick test using Thomas Broyer's "Multi project
setup" sample included as part of its gwt-maven-plugin source:

(doc: http://mojo.codehaus.org/gwt-maven-plugin/user-guide/multiproject.html
)

(source:
https://github.com/gwt-maven-plugin/gwt-maven-plugin/tree/master/src/it/reactor
)

While building this project with Maven 3.0.5 only required minor tweaking
of the reactor project's pom (basically replacing  '@pom.version@' and
'@gwt.version@' placeholders with hard-coded values), I was unable to get
it to compile with GPE under Eclipse, using the 'Google > GWT Compile'
option. The error I first got (which did not make much sense IMHO...) was:

Compiling module org.codehaus.mojo.gwt.test.Hello
   Looking for precompiled archives.  To disable, use
-Dgwt.usearchives=false
jar:file:/C:/Local/maven2/repository/com/google/gwt/gwt-user/2.7.0/gwt-user-2.7.0.jar!/com/google/gwt/core/Core.gwtar
[ERROR] Unexpected internal compiler error
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/objectweb/asm/MethodVisitor
 at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)

 .../...

org.objectweb.asm.MethodVisitor

 .../...

I then tried to edit the POM and use "2.5.1" as GWT version and had the
compiler complain about not being able to find the 'HelloAsyncService'
class...
I checked and it was actually in the 'target/generated-sources/gwt' of the
'war' project, and this source directory was not on the Java Build Path in
Eclipse (I guess  the POM is missing a 'maven-build-helper-plugin' exection
for adding this directory as source directory in Eclipse...)

Anyway, just manually adding 'target/generated-sources/gwt' as a source
folder to the Java Build Path and retrying 'Google > GWT Compilation', this
time the project compiled fine with GPE in Eclipse.

Feeling relieved and confident I had finally nailed it, I then changed back
the GWT version to 2.7.1 in the 'reactor' project POM to have another try,
but this time I got this error in Eclipse:

            [ERROR] Element 'module' beginning on line 17 contains
unexpected attribute 'type'
            [ERROR] Failure while parsing XML
com.google.gwt.core.ext.UnableToCompleteException: (see previous log
entries)
 at
com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.DefaultSchema.onUnexpectedAttribute(DefaultSchema.java:72)
 at com.google.gwt.dev.util.xml.Schema.onUnexpectedAttribute(Schema.java:80)

Again, this does not seem to make much sense as an 'mvn clean package' on
the 'reactor' project works fine on the command line with Maven 3.0.5, as
does an 'mvn gwt:compile' on the child 'war' project...

For the record, I'm using 32-bit Eclipse 4.4.1 on Windows 7, with GPE
v3.8.0.v201410302155-rel-r44

Any ideas as to the likely cause for this error and how it can be remedied
please?

I am getting more and more fed up with the Eclipse WTP, M2E and GPE deadly
combination.... No offense meant, but this shaky tooling really ruins the
GWT coding experience... I spend all day tweaking things in Eclipse so that
I can make my GWT projects compile, and then I have to battle again to have
them run in Dev Mode or Super Dev Mode as the case may be... It really is a
gigantic pain, we lose whole days trying to just setup a project correctly
so that it will compile and run...

Can we expect a new version of GPE anytime soon? Also, it would greatly
help if you could update the GPE documentation that is rather thin,
especially as far as the GWT side of things is concerned...

I am aware that people working on these various tools do their best and I
do not mean to be disrespectful, but the situation has really been giving
very bad press to GWT for years, and it does not seem to improve much...
Setting up and developing a GWT project is already error-prone and
complicated enough, we really need some more robust tooling and
documentation / checklists to support development...

Sorry for such a long rant, and hoping you can provide some guidance on
this,

Regards,

Laurent