processing.

******************************
There Are Distractions...and Distractions

"Opponents to arming pilots claim armed pilots would be unnecessarily
'distracted' from their assigned duties.  Seems to me, being unable to
defend against terrorists wielding deadly weapons busting through the flimsy
flight deck door or butchering passengers and crew members in a take-over
attempt would be a bit more distracting, and not only to the pilots.  Let
pilots defend themselves, their crews, their aircraft, their passengers, and
our infrastructure from another 9/11 attack."

- Kurt Reineke, Las Vegas, NV

*******************************
Would You Prefer Armed or Unarmed, Sir?

"It's been my position ever since Sept. 11 that if they were serious about
reducing the possibility of plane hijackings, only one thing is needed.  A
big table with a pile of handguns on it at every boarding gate.  Above the
table would be a sign, 'If you don't have your own, please take one of ours.
'  Armed pilots and air crews would help but a plane full of armed
passengers would be the ultimate deterrent."

- Jack Joyner, Delta, OH

******************************
Bombs Away

"I heard on the news last night about an airport that had to be shut down
and evacuated because a security worker missed seeing the bomb alert signal
on the security scanner.  Now maybe I'm expecting too much, but if that
person's only job is to scan for bombs, how could they possibly MISS the
signal that tells them there is a bomb!?!  Were they waiting on the person
to declare they had a bomb?  This is ridiculous!  But I guess it's what we
should expect from a group that will allow pilots to fly a weapon of mass
destruction, but NOT allow them to carry a handgun!"

- Donna Fambrough, Bonne Terre, MO

******************************
Swiss Cheese Security

"Regarding airport security: I went to the Los Angeles International Airport
(LAX) last week to pick up some relatives who were arriving for a visit. I
pulled into an entrance to one of the parking garages at 4 AM. There was
only a single security attendant on duty. All the attendant asked me to do
was to open the trunk of my car and the attendant only glanced inside the
trunk. No opening of the engine compartment, no passing of mirrors under the
car, no looking inside the interior of the car, nothing else. If a terrorist
had come into that area he could have enough explosives packed under a back
seat or some other area that would be powerful enough to level a portion of
the parking garage.

"Also, there were recorded messages and signs telling people to not park
their cars at the curbs outside the terminals or the cars would be towed and
impounded. Would a suicide bomber stop his car and leave it or would he
simply drive by the terminal area next to the curb at the busiest time of
the day and detonate his car bomb with hundreds of people coming out of the
terminals? There is no check of cars, trucks or buses coming into the
driving loop around the terminal area. The only check is when cars pull into
the parking garage area. What happens when the traffic gets hot and heavy at
the busiest part of the day?  There are holes all through the system.

"Real safe, huh?"

- GOPN&V reader Larry W. Parmenter

******************************
Closing Barn Door After Horse Already Out

"Love your GOP News & Views and read it religiously. I thought I'd add an
airlines horror story for your pile. I think you should write a book based
on people's stories of airport stupidity. It would probably make you a
million bucks.

"My wife and I were returning from a week in Dublin, Ireland in April of
this year. . . . We arrived at Hartsfield Airport in Atlanta and I am
singled out for a wanding as we deplane.  Now. Georgia is a permissible
carry state and I have a carry permit. Since I was already in a permit to
carry state and if I actually DID have a firearm, what would this moron have
done about it?  Secondly, I had just gotten OFF the airplane. Did he think I
was going to hijack a concession stand?"

- Ron De Laby, Cumming, GA

*********************************
Long Savings on Long Distance!

Just 4.97 cents per minute * All state-to-state calls in the continental
U.S. * Residential or commercial * 6-second billing increments after the
first 18 seconds * 24 hours/day * 7 days/week * No access codes * No
minimums * No activation fees * No monthly service charge unless your bill
is less than $30.00 a month (then a $2.50 service charge will apply) * No
need to change your local phone company * No hassles * Easy sign-up. *And a
small portion of each bill goes to help continue publishing our FREE GOP
News & Views e-newsletter. go to://www.GOPLongDistance.com today.

*******************************
The Air You Breathe

"Our pilots should be permitted to have guns in the cockpit, and it isn't
necessary that they be incapable of making a hole in the airplane.  That is
what oxygen masks are for, and no one is going to die from lack of air while
the plane is taken down to 10,000 feet by a pilot who is alive because he
had a gun and was permitted to defend himself and his passengers.

"However, the most important thing is that the cockpit doors of all large
commercial aircraft be constructed so that they absolutely cannot be opened
until the captain chooses to do so.  A terrorist cannot crash a plane into
anything unless and until he gains access to the cockpit."

- Bruce Watson, Canon City, Colorado

*******************************
This Is Your Pilot Speaking

"As an airline pilot I can tell you that the 'enhanced security measures'
instituted since September 11 do nothing to enhance safety. They simply
inconvenience honest people. If anyone feels all warm and fuzzy because of
them, they are idiots.  Have your readers go to www.secure-skies.org and
sign the online petition there.  Then have them write and call the White
House and their congressmen.

- Kevin Brewster

*********************************
Leadership Institute Training Schools

To be the best, learn from the best.  Get additional information on LI
training schools at:  www.leadershipinstitute.org or call (800) 827-5323.

MAY
10  Grassroots GOTV Workshop-Topeka, KS
11-12     Grassroots Activist School-San Diego, CA
18  Grassroots Preparation Workshop-Raleigh, NC
18-19     Grassroots Activist School-Atlanta, GA

JUNE
1-2  Grassroots Activist School
6  Grassroots Fundraising Workshop-Dallas, TX
8  Grassroots GOTV Workshop-Frederick, MD

**********************************
COMING EVENTS
***********************************

*  ACU's "Public Policy Boot Camp" at the Marriott Residence Inn in
Arlington, Virginia June 2-4.  For further information contact ACU's  Kerri
Houston, 214.357.1504 or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

*  The Third Annual Western Conservative Conference is being held in
Ontario, CA - June 21-June 22.  For additional info, go to:
http://www.WesternConservativeConference.org

*  2002 Southern Republican Leadership Conference in Charlotte, NC, June
27-30.  For just $165.00 (the early bird rate) you get 5 meals, 2
receptions, and the opportunity to hang out with Republican "super stars"
all weekend.  Go to www.SRLC.org to register and find answers to any
questions you may have about this conference.

*  RNC's Summer Meeting in San Francisco.  July 18-20

*  ALEC 2002 Annual Meeting in Orlando, Florida.  August 7-11.  For more
information, go to:  http://www.alec.org/

*  17th Annual Gun Rights Policy Conference. September 27,28 and 29, 2002 at
the. Sheraton Crescent Hotel in Phoenix, Arizona sponsored by the Citizens
Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and the Second Amendment
Foundation. Registration is free. You can register by email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or by phone at 425.454.4911. For more information go to: http://www.saf.org/

 *  30th Annual CPAC conference at the Gateway Marriot in Arlington, VA from
January 30 - February 1, 2003.  Details to follow.

****************************
GOP News & Views is made possible by the generous contributions from readers
like you.

Chuck Muth, Editor/Publisher
3659 Scotwood Street
Las Vegas, NV  89121
Phone:  (702) 391-0222
Fax:  (702) 454-7798
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The opinions and views expressed in GOP News & Views reflect those of the
writers, editors and columnists therein and do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of the sponsors, advertisers ... heck, even some of our readers.
GOP News & Views is not connected to or affiliated with the Republican
National Committee in any manner.  To be REMOVED, go to:
http://www.chuckmuth.com/newsletter/ and complete the removal request
instructions you'll find there.  Or send your request to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

# # #