I'd like to revisit the "Three Questions" at a slightly higher level.

One of the questions was about privacy. Mail-Archive is fundamentally
about public, not private information. In general, if it is private,
one should not send it to Mail-Archive. For example, email addresses
on message bodies are censored not because of privacy but because of
practical considerations. We live in a world blighted with spam and it
is simply not practical to leave email addresses unshielded. Just like
it is not practical leave a bike unlocked on a Boston street for more
than about 5 minutes. But what about accessing that public
information? Are people tracked when they read something? In aggregate
or by individual? For what purpose?  How?  That's the stuff that
usually goes into a website's privacy policy. Here, Mail-Archive is
about as squeaky clean as it gets. The basic operating philosophy is
the public information stored in the archives is public, and other
stuff isn't.

The other questions were related to storing data off-shore due to
legal considerations. This caught me a little off guard. I don't
generally think of the US or Mail-Archive as an "off-shore data haven"
for storing material out of the reach of local laws, German or
otherwise. The service was not originally conceived of as a political
project, but instead as a useful service (and personal technical
challenge) and that motive has guided policy. Nonetheless, as things
scale up such issues have inevitably surfaced. So far they have been
manageable, and in aggregate more educational or entertaining than
stressful. The bottom line is that I really don't care if people think
of Mail-Archive in different ways. As a free service, though, there
are some fairly serious usage gotchas to keep in mind. Most are listed
in the FAQ. I generally don't expect to have much, if any, interaction
with individual lists except for over the gossip mailing list,
although it can happen. If there is an interaction I expect that there
will be more or less a single voice rather than 300 people emailing
me. And while I try to use good judgement, good policy and knowledge
garnered from experience and education [1] there is NO guarantee of
service. I think more than 1000 YahooGroups mailing lists were kicked
off of Mail-Archive when we banned them a few years ago. In part
because dealing with them was a pain.

So to take that long answer and put it into a practical response: I'd
prefer if messages from [EMAIL PROTECTED] were not tunneled, but
will not require it. Nor will I think about it at all unless some
problem comes up. I would appreciate it if problems didn't come up at
all, but recognize that the future is hard to predict. As for headers
in those messages, I only promise that I will use my best good
judgement if an issue arises. In the past I've said both "no" and
"yes" to revealing header information to select people.  For example,
I've shown limited headers to a list admin when trying to track down a
technical problem. I'd never reveal a header to a spammer, but I might
reveal one if asked by someone prosecuting a spammer. In general there
is a fairly high bar for me to lift a finger for any sort of special
request, headers and not generally available, but I do not
consider headers of inbound Mail-Archive messages to be fundamentally
off-limits. I do now recognize there is some sensitivity for the
[EMAIL PROTECTED] list; quite frankly it never occurred to me that
this could even be an issue until it was mentioned.

If you are really pushing the envelope and expect push to come to
shove, you may want to consider moving to a politically oriented
service as opposed to Mail-Archive which is more practically
oriented. Mail-Archive belongs to an organization called the
California Community Colocation Project (CCCP) which is in turn a
member of the Online Policy Group (OPG). It seems that OPG also offers
direct list related services, and is not shy about fighting for free
speech rights such as they exist in the United States, and probably
has a lot more experience with highly controversial clients than
Mail-Archive. Here's a few recent choice quotes from David Weekly.

  "We here at OPG (CCCP) will do all we can to protect our clients'
   rights, including, in this case, suing firms that try to take your
   fair use content down."

   http://www.scoop.co.nz/mason/stories/WO0311/S00025.htm
   http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/03/business/media/03secure.html

   "We serve tens of thousands of users with our free mailing lists that
   otherwise couldn't be hosted elsewhere (we're a "refugee camp" for
   groups booted from Yahoo! and MSN)."

I hope this clarifies the motivations behind Mail-Archive's policies
and provides enough information to make intelligent decisions going
forward.

-Jeff

[1] I took "Ethics and Law on the Electronic Frontier" which despite
    the hokey title has proven highly relevant. It is basically a cram
    course so that technical types can have some clue about law. See
    the MIT OpenCourseWare website <http://ocw.mit.edu> for reading
    material under class number 6.805J