>Perhaps it's time for us to revisit [Lucene for site-wide search]

A few weeks ago I tested Lucene's ability to search across multiple
indexes (MultiSearcher) and it is hopelessly slow; queries take 5
seconds across just a few hundred indexes.

Right now I'm trying index merging (addIndexesNoOptimize). With an HDD
destination there is a load spike (around 20 to 30) and merge at a
rate of about 2GB per minute. That's approximately 3 hours. With an
SSD destination the load spike is gone and merge rate jumps 3GB
minute. It remains to be seen what the search performance will be once
indexing is complete.

There is also chatter that Lucene 3 has a slightly different API for
index merging, but if I'm reading it right there is no performance
difference.

-Jeff