At Minnesota, the cancer center had OnCore prior to going enterprize wide
with it.  At the time the cancer center used it initially, OnCore did not
have the potential for integrating data with Epic.

Currently, most data capture for clinical trials is done using case report
forms in Oncore - rather than Epic

For BMT - there are smart forms and templated notes built in Epic at point
of care with the goal to flow data from Epic to Clarity to the cancer
center database.  This has been a 2 year project and reports of the data
are not yet available.

Changing the Epic build for an RCT protocol may not be the highest priority
for the health system, given all the clinical documentation issues they
need to address.

Building structured notes or flowsheets may be doable, but then it requires
an Epic builder.  If the data are not part of routine required data, then
it still will require research staff to enter the data.  It may be easier
to build a PCORI database initially.

Beacon - now includes staging and staging data should be capture in Epic
going forward, now can that data be in Clarity and AHC-IE

Josh, our CTMS project manager notes that the CTMS Implementation roadmap
includes some data integration with EPIC based on a combination of need and
technical capabilities.  The integration items at a high level include:
 Demographic data pulled from EPIC to OnCore for registering clinical trial
subjects, sending basic protocol information to EPIC, sending basic subject
data to EPIC to indicate that subject is on a specific protocol and sending
the OnCore billing grid to EPIC.

The capability does exist, and was successfully tested when working at the
Masonic Cancer Center, for us to also bring in lab data from HL7 data
sources into OnCore electronic case report forms.  This functionality is
not currently on the CTMS Implementation roadmap.

Fairview has trained some staff in research on setting up the basic
research "protocol" components in EPIC which will be needed for the OnCore
integration to work.

The OnCore vendor has been working on plans to expand the EPIC integration
capabilities.   Yale is leading the way on much of this work.  I hope to
learn more during the conference this week.

Bonnie L. Westra, PhD, RN, FAAN, FACMI
Associate Professor, University of Minnesota,
School of Nursing & Institute for Health Informatics
Director, Center for Nursing Informatics
Location - WDH 6-155
P - 612-625-4470, Fax - 612-625-7091
email - westr...@umn.edu
Mail - WDH 5-140, 308 Harvard St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455