From: gpc-dev-boun...@listserv.kumc.edu [gpc-dev-boun...@listserv.kumc.edu] on
behalf of Alex Bokov [bo...@uthscsa.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 07, 2014 9:41 AM
To: gpc-dev@listserv.kumc.edu
Subject: Re: R, SQL, i2b2, and governance RE: Example (Re: Empirical Data
Dictionary)

Yes, I'm fully in agreement there-- no direct, unlimited queries by
investigators. Or under normal circumstances, us, for that matter. The only
variable parts are the patient/visit sets.

I see the goal of the initial cohort work is learning how to generalize these
queries so they can be automated and run without exposing the end user of the
data to unnecessary internals. My actual cohort query is a lot less broad than
the Empirical Data Dictionary. It will basically take a I2B2-generated
patient/visit set and do the non-oracle-specific equivalent of a pivot on year
for all of them. It will also return a top-N by prevalence list of leaf
concepts for that patient-set or visit-set.

The logic is similar whether it's implemented in R or one's favorite flavor of
SQL (even if the actual syntax is mind-meltingly different).

What is meant by audited query? The code for the generic query has been
reviewed by a trusted party? Or the individual instance of each query is
reviewed manually before being approved? Either sounds like a good idea.