Hi Chuck,

Happy Thanksgiving!

>From my experience here and looking at most i2b2 installs on babel (though I
>defer to Jim Campbell):

1.  Practically we’re largely ICD9 centric for diagnoses (and park IMO terms
below the ICD9 folders for) because that’s how most of the data was recorded.
I think once you’ve got basic concept terms like DX-ID in Epic that roll up
using IMO to either SNOMED or ICD, you can build folders to hold them.  I see
actually more SNOMED used within Epic “smart data elements” that could be
contained in notes (but are difficult to extract from Clarity; we want to
tackle that once we get Chronicles access sorted out).

My sense is most clinicians/researcher are familiar with ICD9 like folders so
informatics teams have built from the UMLS or pulled from Harvard’s starter
i2b2 demo data ontologies.  “Most” people clinically don’t think in terms of
SNOMED as an interface terminology which is probably why you don’t see it as
much and until lots of raw data is coded in SNOMED it may not have as much
visibility.

Now Jim Campbell is the SNOMED/LOINC leader for us and I think we’ve got
pathways for how we manage these conceptual linkages but practically much on
purely diagnoses sits in ICD9 like flavors.  Trent at Vandy might also comment.
 I think as we work past phase 1 and get the fundamental observations
interoperable, people can prototype different i2b2 folders that use different
interface “folders”/terminologies for researchers.  But, for now, ICD9 like
folders will cover the immediate needs we will see. I think because i2b2 allows
you to search by text, browser folders and see counts, it helps the end user
compensate for precise mapping deficiencies to some degree.

2.  Now for cancer registries, ICDO-2/3 is used and Dan built a reasonable
ontology for NAACCR files.

3.  For microbiology results, Cerner nicely maps organisms to SNOMED which we’d
like to replicate as well for our Epic data.  That’s one place I’ve seen SNOMED
used in an i2b2 install.  See under CMH Microbiology.

4.  For meds, it’s RXnorm.  Depending on your EMR, you can either crosswalk off
the vendor product (FDB/Multim) based on something like a gcnseq_no, off a
representative NDC for the formulary file, or do NLP with something like MedEX.
 Not sure SNOMED would ever play a role there.

5.  Labs are LOINC.

6.  For clinical observables, look at some of the GPC clinical measurements
folder on babel.  Jim and the Nebraska team have mapped those to LOINC.  Lots
of other great things like cardiovascular results that will be great to see us
map to LOINC as well for interoperability.

Lori Phillips is probably best equipped to comment on i2b2 philosophy and Jeff
Klann on where SCILHS is headed.

Russ

On Nov 26, 2014, at 2:01 PM, Borromeo, Charles