From: gpc-dev-boun...@listserv.kumc.edu [gpc-dev-boun...@listserv.kumc.edu] on
behalf of Apathy,Nate [nate.apa...@cerner.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2015 2:37 PM
To: Russ Waitman
Cc: gpc-dev@listserv.kumc.edu
Subject: RE: Medication Mapping Issue

Hi all,

We’ve been exploring a similar issue with medication mapping to the central
RxCUI ontology proposed by KUMC. Though we’re not an Epic site, we are in the
middle of transitioning from NDC to RxCUI/RxNORM as our primary medication
terminology in order to align with GPC. We’ve done several mappings using
different versions of mapping content from NDC to RxCUI, and our closest match
(to the ontology) merits about 2,300 matches with the RxCUI ontology out on
Babel, which contains about 5,500 RxCUI codes. We have 11,000 unique RxCUI
codes from our mappings using the USNLM mapping content, so we’re not getting a
good amount of those represented with the current GPC RxCUI ontology. The real
kicker is that those 2,300 matches only represent about 1.5% of the total
volume of medication data that we have, so while it is about half of the
ontology, it’s significantly less representative of the total amount of
potential data that could be represented if all of our codes were matched in
the ontology.

We’re wondering if the ontology is at a specific level of granularity that we
haven’t accommodated in our mappings, which is making our terms misalign with
the precise codes used in the GPC RxCUI ontology. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks for raising this question, Phillip!

Nate Apathy
Solution Manager: i2b2, Cerner Research