Hi, Russ,

I think this would be a topic for the next monthly GPC IRB call for
discussion. (Steve, is there room on the 10/30 agenda for the topic?)
Under the HIPAA Privacy Rule preparatory to research requirements, no
HIPAA identifiers may be sent outside the institution. Further, I think
most of the IRBs would require IRB oversight of this type of data
release. Some institutions could accommodate the release within their
current data sharing protocols their IRBs have approved (or might need a
minor change to the protocol) and others will need to obtain approval of
a protocol to allow such data sharing. I do not think the second option
noted below (identifying cases where IRB oversight would not be
required) is viable. We received some feedback from OHRP already that
the data exchanges, even those that are coded without HIPAA identifiers,
requires IRB oversight.

Because release of a limited data set requires a data use agreement, I
will reach out to the UW legal counsel to see if she thinks the current
GPC data sharing agreement is adequate to cover the release of data you
have described.

With best regards,

Nichelle

Nichelle Cobb, Ph.D.
Director, Health Sciences Institutional Review Boards Office
800 University Bay Drive, Suite 105
Madison, WI 53705
Phone: (608) 262-1980
Fax: (608) 265-5811
>>> Russ Waitman <rwait...@kumc.edu> 10/13/2015 12:00 PM >>>

Hi Nichelle (and Brittany for tracking),

We’ve had a question arise on the gpc-dev call that is at the
intersection of how we manage data for the PCORnet central office
distributed research queries.

We’ve been operating on the understanding that for prep to research
queries from PCORI, we will be hosting fully de-identified i2b2 and
PCORnet CDM databases at each site.  The current model based on the data
sharing is that prep to research queries of these resources will have
Data Request Oversight but not IRB.

There’s a discussion now of an added requirement that we also generate
limited datasets with the precise dates.
-          This could either be a persistent database copy (what they’d
prefer)
-          Or, could theoretically be a dataset for each project

The question is, when they want to distribute code that runs against
these data files, is there a consistent interpretation of what IRB
oversight is required?

What’s the GPC IRB verdict?
-          Each research project has its own approved IRB protocol?
-          Or
-          There are exceptions approved by GPC IRB where if  data
doesn’t flow back with cell sizes less then 11, they don’t need IRB

Is this a topic you’ve already addressed or should we bring this up at
a meeting?

Russ Waitman, PhD
Director of Medical Informatics
Assistant Vice Chancellor for Enterprise Analytics
Associate Professor, Department of Internal Medicine
University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas City, Kansas
913-945-7087 (office)
rwait...@kumc.edu
http://www.kumc.edu/ea-mi/
http://informatics.kumc.edu