From: Dan Connolly [mailto:dconno...@kumc.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 5:19 PM
To: Stroup, Jeff; Klann, Jeffrey G.
Cc: French, Tony; Allen, Katie Sue; <gpc-dev@listserv.kumc.edu>
Subject: RE: CDM refresh

+cc gpc-dev, with permission

What I meant by the SCILHS network version builds on
gpc-pcornet-cdm<https://bitbucket.org/gpcnetwork/gpc-pcornet-cdm>
(#145<https://informatics.gpcnetwork.org/trac/Project/ticket/145>), but it's
not the same thing. We're tracking evaluation of the SCILHS code as
#347<https://informatics.gpcnetwork.org/trac/Project/ticket/347> (@MU)/
#381<https://informatics.gpcnetwork.org/trac/Project/ticket/381> (@CMH).

Jeff K., as of our Sep 22 gpc-dev
call<http://listserv.kumc.edu/pipermail/gpc-dev/2015q3/002055.html> when you
joined to discuss it, you offered to share the code to anyone in our community
who asked you by email, and you were thinking about other ways to share; is
email to you still the state of the art?

Jeff S., I'll excerpt relevant parts of that call and a later one:
________________________________
3. Compare approaches to ETL around i2b2 and CDM

                                                        i.        Jeff - the
process to get the CDM is to take data mapped into the ontology; consistent set
of paths with flexible local codes.

1.    SQL transform to pull from the database with that as the source. Looks up
relevant basecodes; new transform column.

2.    There's a lookup in the ontology table for pcori basecode; that gets
plugged into the diagnosis table (etc.); not generalized, but automatic once
the data is mapped into the SCILHS ontology.

3.    Covers CDM v1, 2, 3; transform is only in place for CDM v1. Skipping to
working on the CDM v3 transform.

a.    Internally labs work; meds in progress.data formats and auto-incrementing
keys are updates between the versions.

b.    Will have this work done by mid-October

              *   Can share with the PCORnet community.

________________________________

And from our 6 Oct gpc-dev
call<http://listserv.kumc.edu/pipermail/gpc-dev/2015q4/002104.html>:
________________________________

1.
milestone:data-domains3<https://informatics.gpcnetwork.org/trac/Project/milestone/data-domains3>,

drn-query-1<https://informatics.gpcnetwork.org/trac/Project/milestone/drn-query-1>

a.    #160<https://informatics.gpcnetwork.org/trac/Project/ticket/160>
reproducible GPC, CDM refresh at a critical mass of GPC sites (PMO milestone
2.4)<https://informatics.gpcnetwork.org/trac/Project/ticket/160>

                                                        i.        DC: So the
goal is to get a critical mass of sites using the same approach. ...

                                                       ii.        PR: My
thought it depends on what GPC wants to do.  i2b2 to CDM and get the process
working well?  I think that's fine.  If not, everyone is feeling pressure to
get data in CDM and figuring out a way to do it.  So I'm looking for a GPC
higher level decision.
DC: As customer/reporter of #160, Russ asked us to go i2b2->CDM; in #145, we
provided code to do it; the code has some holes, and the Harvard folks have
filled some (all?) of them.  Earlier Laurel put together a table of DRN status
at GPC
sites<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lg5fAHV5_rBT_FyF4_8NDuZC7KlNapLai90LEkdnxpI/edit#gid=0>;
 I'm not sure whether she intends to continue to use/maintain it, but it shows
several sites using the shared approach from #145. So i2b2->CDM is plan A as
far as I know.

                                                     iii.        Susan
Morrison: Are going back to do version 1 with the code from Harvard or not?
Will we risk incompatible approaches?
DC: I expect to evolve towards the direction of using Harvard's refinement of
the approach in #145.  Right now MU has the ball on evaluating it (the Harvard
CDM code; cf #347<https://informatics.gpcnetwork.org/trac/Project/ticket/347>).
 We have the code from Harvard, it's just a question of trying it out. To get
the code, the shortest path is the e-mail Jeff Klan.

--
Dan