(Meeting details being handled separately.)

I spoke with Shawn on this. We agree that getting some standard code
behind each item in the ontology seems important. And where that is not
possible we’ve probably modeled observations/value poorly and should
change the ontology.

In the case of smoking status, we’ve discovered that the ontology tree is
based on a set of SNOMED codes, so each of these can be backed by a SNOMED
code. So I think the design is fine here, we should just add the SNOMED
codes.

Also I’d like to keep a reference to the (not-quite standard) i2b2-ized
PCORI codes in a separate column, for people implementing i2b2 on top of
the PCORI CDM (yes this does happen) - maybe in an i_pcori_basecode
column… or add a pcori_prefix column and realize this can be built from
that and pcori_code.

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeffrey Klann, PhD
Instructor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Instructor in Investigation, Massachusetts General Hospital