On June 9, 2017 at 10:25:39 AM, Marsolo, Keith
(keith.mars...@cchmc.org<mailto:keith.mars...@cchmc.org>) wrote:

Hi Russ.  Thanks for reaching out.

You’re correct in that CDM v3.1 lacks a dose field (and dose units).  As I
mentioned in a few recent calls, we’re going to address that in the next
version of the data model.

Quantity is really number of units (pills, tablets, etc.).  I think we can work
on improving the documentation.

There are two options in the short term:
1. Add DOSE and DOSE_UNIT to your tables.  It won’t break any of our existing
query tools, and you’ll already have most of the ETL worked out once their
added officially.
2. Use the preferred RxNorm CUI term types (listed in Implementation Guidance),
which encode Ingredient + strength (dose) + dose form.  This would give you all
the information you need (and is one of the reasons why those fields aren’t
present).  This 2nd option is the preferred one.

I agree that the more specific TTYs (BPCK and GPCK certainly, and SBD and SCD
in most cases) get us to a manufactured dose.  I’d call them equivalent to NDCs
for most research purposes.

More to help with discussion, option 2 helps you estimate duration of exposure,
but gives limited information on how many units a patient takes at a time.
That is to say, if I know the drug is, say, ranitidine 150 mg caps, and the
patient got 60 caps with 3 refills, I can infer from general knowledge H2A
usage and of how payers operate that the dose is probably 1 cap bid, but
there’s nothing in the data that tells me that; I can only make that call
because I assume the payer won’t reimburse for >30 days at a time and the
prescriber wrote to that benchmark.  If I’m wrong and the mail-order plan fills
60 days, I’m sunk.  And it’s even more fun if the BPCK is, say, Teva
amoxicillin 40 mg/ml solution, 250 ml and the unit is “bottle”.   So for now
option 1 is the choice you need if you want to study dose.

The OMOP effective_drug_dose goes a step further, in that it allows
normalization, so that for instance we can report pediatric doses as 80
mg/kg/dose, rather than just 1200 mg.  I’m not sure PCORnet would contemplate
that step, since it’s not focussed on pediatrics, but the nice thing about an
approach like effective_drug_dose is that it’s transparent: if you don’t want
to normalize, it accepts absolute dose, and if you do, it accepts normalized
dose.  But all nicety comes with its downside: query writers need to account
for both if they’re selecting on dose level.  (So do analysts, but they need to
do that anyhow; what the normalized dose does is not require the dataset to
also include weight or BSA values.)

On Jun 9, 2017, at 9:25 AM, Russ Waitman