From: Marsolo, Keith [mailto:keith.mars...@cchmc.org]
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2018 7:11 AM
To: Campbell, James R <campb...@unmc.edu>
Cc: allison.hauf...@duke.edu; Pedersen, Jay G <jay.peder...@unmc.edu>;
gpc-dev@listserv.kumc.edu; Campbell, Walter S <wcamp...@unmc.edu>; Vreeman,
Daniel J <dvree...@regenstrief.org>; michelle.sme...@duke.edu; Katie Arnold
<katherine.arn...@duke.edu>
Subject: Re: MED_ADMIN route and units codes

Non-UNMC email

  Jim,

These are great questions.  Thanks for sending.

We’re using SNOMED for the routes of administration, since that’s what’s
associated with RXNORM, but as you’ve discovered, it’s not the friendliest
value set.  This may be something that we look to revise in the future.

Based on your source data, if it’s possible to figure out where the medication
was administered, you should map it to the appropriate SNOMED code.  If there’s
any ambiguity, then you should map to OT and put the source value in the RAW
field.  For instance, an Injection could map to the Subcutaneous or
Intramuscular or Intraocular, depending on the drug, so that’s probably a good
candidate for OT.

As for the units, we’re leveraging the common UCUM units as identified by LOINC:
https://loinc.org/usage/units/

The universe of UCUM codes is essentially unbounded
(http://unitsofmeasure.org/ucum.html#datyp2apdxatblxmp), so unless we want to
change the unit field type to text, we have to have a finite list in order to
test conformance (you could imagine a program that might “compute” whether a
unit was valid based on the UCUM rules, but that’s out of our scope for the
time being).

UNIT, DROP and EACH fall into the existing value set, so you should be able to
handle those.  The remaining units would be mapped to OT with the source value
in the RAW field.  The other question I’d ask is whether you have a sense of
how prevalent those codes are across your source data.  Things like tablet,
capsule and puff are typically used to represent medication dose form, so I
wouldn’t necessarily expect to see them labeled as units (though technically
they can be).

Thanks.

Keith

On Mar 20, 2018, at 1:43 PM, Campbell, James R