On 12/12/13 18:14, Lindsay Todd wrote:
Hello,

Since this is my first note to the group, I'll introduce myself first.
  I am Lindsay Todd, a Systems Programmer at Rensselaer Polytechnic
Institute's Center for Computational Innovations, where I run a 1.2PiB
GPFS cluster serving a Blue Gene/Q and a variety of Opteron and Intel
clients, run an IBM Watson, and serve as an adjunct faculty.  I also do
some freelance consulting, including GPFS, for several customers.

One of my customers is needing to serve GPFS storage through both NFS
and Samba; they have GPFS 3.5 running on RHEL5 (not RHEL6) servers.  I
did not set this up for them, but was called to help fix it.  Currently
they export NFS using cNFS; I think we have that straightened out
server-side now.  Also they run Samba on several of the servers; I'm
sure the group will not be surprised to hear they experience file
corruption and other strange problems.

I've been pushing them to use Samba-CTDB, and it looks like it will
happen.  Except, I've never used this myself.  So this raises a couple
questions:

1) It looks like RHEL5 bundles in an old version of CTDB. Should that be
used, or would we be better with a build from the Enterprise Samba site,
or even a build from source?

Hi Lindsay,

We rebuild ctdb from the (git) source (in the 1.2.40 branch currently), after running into performance problems with the sernet bundled version (1.0.114). It's easy to build:

git clone git://git.samba.org/ctdb.git ctdb.git
cd ctdb.git
git branch -r
git checkout -b "my_build" origin/1.2.40
cd packaging/RPM/
./makerpms.sh
yum install /root/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64/ctdb*.rpm

I then take the Sernet src rpm and rebuild it, using ctdb.h from the above rather than the 1.0.114 version they use. This is possibly not required, but I thought it best to be sure that the differing headers wouldn't cause any problems. I remain, as ever, very grateful to Sernet for providing these!

2) Given that CTDB can also run NFS, what are people who need both
finding works best: run both cNFS + Samba-CTDB, or let CTDB run both?
  It seems to me that if I let CTDB run both, I only need a single
floating IP address for each server, while if I also use cNFS, I will
want a floating address for both NFS and Samba, on each server.

We let CTDB run both, but we didn't come to that decision by comparing the merits of both options. I think Bristol (Bob Cregan is cc'd, I'm not sure he's on this list) run cNFS and CTDB side by side. As you say - you'd at least require different IP addresses to do that.

Thanks for the help!

Best of luck :)

R. Lindsay Todd, PhD

   Dr Orlando Richards