On 08/10/2021 19:14, Wahl, Edward wrote:

This goes back as far as I can recall to <=GPFS 3.5 days. And no, I
cannot recall what version of TSM-EE that was.   But newline has been
the only stopping point, for what seems like forever. Having filed
many an mmbackup bug, I don't recall ever crashing on filenames.
(tons of OTHER reasons, but not character set)   We even generate an
error report from this and email users to fix it. We accept basically
almost everything else, and I have to say, we see some really crazy
things sometimes.   I think my current favorite is the full windows
paths as a filename. (eg:
"Y:\Temp\temp\290\work\0\Material_ERTi-5.in" )

I will have to do a test but I am sure newlines have worked just fine in the past. At the very least they have not stopped an entire backup from working when using dsmc incr.

Now mmbackup that's a different kettle of fish. If you have not seen mmbackup fail entirely because of a random "special" character you simply have not been using it long enough :-)

For the longest of times I would simply not go anywhere near it because it was not fit for purpose.

Current IBM documentation doesn't go backwards past 4.2 but it says:

"For IBM Spectrum Scale™ file systems with special characters
frequently used in the names of files or directories, backup failures
might occur. Known special characters that require special handling
include: *, ?, ", ’, carriage return, and the new line character.

In such cases, enable the Tivoli Storage Manager client options
WILDCARDSARELITERAL and QUOTESARELITERAL on all nodes that are used
in backup activities and make sure that the mmbackup option --noquote
is used when invoking mmbackup."

So maybe we could handle newlines somehow.   But my lazy searches
didn't show what TSM doesn't accept.

We strongly advise our users (our GPFS file system is for an HPC system) in training not to use "special" characters. That is followed with a warning that if they do then we don't make any promises to backup their files :-)

From time to time I run a dsmc incr in a screen and capture the output to a log file and then look at the list of failed files and prompt users to "fix" them. Though sometimes I just "fix" them myself if the correction is going to be obvious and then email them to tell them what has happened.

JAB.

HPC System Administrator, ARCHIE-WeSt.