I will try installing a new NIC card. Normally, WinPE should
automatically identify the NIC, right?

Maybe that is also the reason why the Windows hangs at the boot when I
try the network boot on the already installed hdd. Probably it tries
to connect to the iscsi before loading the NIC driver. I think if I
install a natively supported NIC card, the problems will disappear.