All,

     Over the last few weeks we have been experimenting with gpxe and the
ability to perform a local boot, ie falling back to the bios and letting it
decide what the next step is.

    The documentation from the gpxe command line reference,
http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/commandline, says the following:

            exit Exits gPXE, and passes boot control back to the BIOS, which
generally attempts to boot the system using the next available boot method.

    In my mind, this is exactly what a local boot should be. In our case, we
are using the undionly.kpxe binary over pxe and we would like to, under certain
circumstances, skip network booting and
      boot from a local disk.  However, when the exit command is given, gpxe
seems to exit and then a message appears that reads to the effect of:

                   Please insert boot media and press a key.

        This is a slight paraphrasing, but the effect is clear - the system
hangs until someone physically presses a key. At that point the boot process
proceeds to the hard disk where we have grub installed.

    My question is this: Is this message a result of gpxe or is it from the
bios? Obviously the next boot device is bootable, or grub wouldn't load, so why
does it need to ask me to continue so explicitly? Is there a
    way to force the boot process to continue without needing human
interaction? For a remote network boot scheme, it is just impossible to require
manual intervention in the process, especially if the intervention
    requires physical access to the machine.

     -- Nathan