On 7/19/10 9:13 AM, Milton Labanda wrote:
> I downloaded and burning gPXE1.0.1 and 1.0.1 images into some floppy disks
> but i can not boot any computer.  I use the following comands:
>
> $ cat gPXE-1.0.0.dsk > /dev/fd0     and too
> $ dd if=gPXE-1.0.0.dsk of=/dev/fd0
>
> On virtual box the .dsk images work well but on
> real machines not boot the floppies and show :
>
> AX:004 BX: 005. CX:789 DX: .666
> AX:...  BX: ... CX:....... DX: .......
> AX:... BX: ... CX:....... DX: .......
> AX:... BX: ... CX:....... DX: .......

Floppies are very sensitive to media errors.

I recommend you low-level format the floppy:

   http://linux.die.net/man/8/fdformat

which will format each track of the floppy and verify it.

Then use:

    dd if=gpxe.dsk of=/dev/fd0

(or whatever device you are using) to write your .dsk image to the newly
formatted floppy.

USB keys and .usb imagesare a lot more reliable, but I understand that
they are also more expensive, and in some cases machines you want to
boot may not have USB booting support.

Please try the ideas above and let us know how things go.

/ Marty /