Hello Erik,

Fortunately, your questions have pretty straightforward answers.

> 1. Should I either use iSCSI or AoE? Which one is faster? (the machines
> are on a local network)

If speed is your primary concern, then all theory says that AoE is
what you want.  AoE uses Ethernet frames instead of TCP packets to
communicate, which means that though it is not routable (confined to a
single subnet, basically), there's no TCP/IP overhead.  That said, I
do not know how mature the driver for it is compared to the MS iSCSI
initiator when it comes to NT6.  It's entirely possible that what's
true in theory is not true in practice.  For what it's worth though,
I've never heard someone say that iSCSI was too slow on a modern
machine.

> 2. Which iSCSI or AoE target software (for Windows) supports
> non-persistent writes? Which one do you recommend? (either commercial
> or free software)

I'm not personally aware of any AoE target software for Windows.
There is vblade on Linux, which works pretty well and will do copy on
write on a per initiator basis (I think).  For iSCSI, you have more
choices.  The most popular ones are Starwind and the target built into
Windows Storage Server, I believe.  I'm pretty sure that you can
configure Starwind to auto-restore a target when an initiator
disconnects, so that might be what you need.  Doubletake bought emBoot
a while back right after they released sanFly, which I thought was a
really neat looking piece of software.  It was a target aimed
specifically at netbooting Windows, so it might be worth it to check
out.

Commercial iSCSI targets are not the most affordable thing
unfortunately, as pretty much every iSCSI target vendor is convinced
that if they can make their solution certified for vmware and cost
less than $20k that it's a bargain.... So beware :-P

> 3. I read that gPXE uses DHCP to determine how and what file to boot. Is
> using a boot script significantly faster?

An embedded boot script will definitely be fastest, but only really if
you're burning gPXE into ROM.  If you plan to chainload, using cached
DHCP would probably be fastest.    There was a thread on the list over
this past week about that, though there was a small language
barrier... Not sure if that was resolved or not.  Might be best
answered by a fellow list reader.

> I know, many questions. But if you have an answer to at least one of
> these questions I am very grateful.

Not a problem!  Questions are what the list is here for, after all ;-).

Cheers,
Andrew Bobulsky