Sorry someone didn't respond sooner.

You didn't tell us what gPXE build you were using, and this can make a
big difference.
Example, were you use unidonly.kkpxe, or .*pxe and chainloading? Or
were you loading up the full binary with all drivers?

I know the RTL8111 Gigabit Chipset has issues using undionly.kkpxe,
with chainloading, it doesn't do it right
(http://etherboot.org/wiki/hardwareissues#realtek_rtl8111d), and I'm
not sure what the HPs use offhand. I ran into this when I first tried
to netboot an Asus AT5IONT-I Board.

At my work, we've got a bunch of different Dell's (960, 980, T3500,
490, Latt 6510, etc), and all of these have seemed to work well using
undionly.kkpxe and chainloading.

For the other issues with loading 2.1 but not 3.0, it would help to
know what kind of errors you are getting.

        Brandon Penglase