-----Original Message-----
From:   Stéphane Croisier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Fri 3/18/2005 2:40 PM
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:        RE: Why not using Lenya
At 13:15 18/03/2005, you wrote:

>And is it better to reinvent the wheel?
>The JCR will perhaps be a
>success... or not. It does not really matter. In all cases, it looks like
>the Jackrabbit implementation is nice and well coded. So at least you avoid
>recoding the core kernel of a CMS (and perhaps you do not need to use all
>the features provided by Jackrabbit)...

I don't speak about reinventing the wheel. We will also supporting JCR. The
more I understand the spec, the more I found this API is good But abstraction
is a key word when building an application. Are you not agree ?
Based a CMS framework on only one spec which is not yet mature and not well
used is dangerous. Are you not agree ?

Let's speak about the J2EE spec. IMO, EJB fails. It was defined like a great
technology 5/10 ago and now we are all agree that Hibernate, OJB, Spring... are
better.

>Furthermore if, at least Day, Lenya, Magnolia and Jahia integrates
>Jackrabbit into their own product offering, this should lead to a quite
>well maintained kernel library (ok, I agree you need to like Swiss citizens
>as all these initatives are Swiss ;-) ... I always wanted to know why there
>are so much interest in Switzerland for CMS and not in other countries ;-) )

ok but I prefer the Luxembourg area :-)

>Graffito is not a finished CMS product. It can be use like this but this
>is not mandatory.It is really a component/framework based solution.
>If I understand your point of view, Graffito can be the shared management
>framework and we will see later if this kind of initiative it interesting
>for the Java/open source community.
>That's the same for Jetspeed 2, almost all Jetspeed services can be
>running outside j2. Eg. : I can use the J2 security stuff with Graffito
>outside J2.

>What I mean is that currently there is not this man-in-the-middle in
>portals.apache.org (and perhaps one day cms.apache.org).

Wait and we will see. I think you are welcome to contribute ideas and codes. :-)

Michi wrote:
>The idea of Lenya is to offer a CM Framework by enhancing Cocoon by CM
>componets, but also a CMS "nearly out of the box"

Same idea here in Graffito :-) I think we have the same vision.
I have only one issue with Leyna. It is focusing only on Cocoon.

>In the middle/long run, I do not think this will ease code reuse or code
>sharing among "products". As there is no defined framework project, the
>final product will always influence the choices for the entire framework.

No agree :-)

>So that's why I think the Zope organisational structure is not so bad. It
>clearly allow ressources gathering on the Portal or CMS Frameworks layer
>and let up to other free or commercial projects to make the glue + GUI  +
>etc...

I think it is more complex like that. That doesn't change the problem.
Imagine you are using CPS and decide to move to Plone. You will have a great
job to do migrate to Plone. Both products are CMS apps based on Zope

Zope is a complex framework with too many components.

Have a good week-end,
at least, Graffito is a nice place to discuss on CMS - no ? :-)

Christophe