> > > I am going to compare NestedBlockState.entropy() of the two run,
> > > but I am not sure this is correct.
> >
> > > How should I take into account the fact that the networks are
> > > slightly different?
> >
> > Would normalization make the two entropies comparable? I'd be
> > interested to hear opinions about using, for normalization, the
> > entropy of a NestedBlockState where each node is in its own group.
>
> The description length (DL) tells you how much information is needed
> to encode both the network and the model parameters. If we compare
> the DL for the same network but different models, this tells which
> model most compresses the data. But if we compare two different
> networks with two different models, this tells us very little, because it
> mixes a comparison of which network is more regular with the quality
> of fit of each model.
>
> The results of this kind of comparison is often trivial: the more nodes
> and edges, the higher will be the DL.
>
> You *could* compute something like the DL per edge in order to
> compare two networks, but since the DL is not a linear function of the
> number of nodes or edges, it is difficult to put this evaluation on solid
> statistical grounds.

Thanks Tiago,

I see that this could be an option. But how about my proposal?

The 'polbooks' dataset has 105 nodes. An SBM with one block (B=1) has a DL of
about 1550 bits. The DL is minimized (DL_min=1300) for B=5. When each node is
in its own block (D=105), DL is maximized (DL_max=1950). Can't I make states of
different graphs comparable by taking DL_min/DL_max? It seems like a
straightforward application of normalized entropy
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy_(information_theory)#Efficiency_(normalized_entropy))
 to me.

All, Tiago fixed a bug in the mailing list backend. It caused my email to
arrive four times. I'm sorry for flooding your mailbox.

Best wishes

Haiko