On Mar 13, 2008, at 7:41 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:40:25 -0400
From: "Patton, Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: [GRASS-dev] Re: [GRASS GIS] #7: Location wizard: should
        predefine       DB connection for new location
To: <grass-dev@lists.osgeo.org>

Eric:
Thanks for the pointer. I'll hardcode my database paths for now.

Hamish:
see the db.connect help page example for DBF (I usually just cut and
paste that to the command line when needed). It accepts variable
LOCATION, MAPSET, you don't need to hardcode it. (Be sure to keep the
path with $VARIABLES in single quotes!)

Should each of $GISDABSE, $LOCATION_NAME, and $MAPSET have populated values on location startup? These variables always remain blank for each location that
I try:

~ >echo $GISDBASE

~ >echo $LOCATION_NAME

~ >echo $MAPSET

~ >

are these variables only available from the shell if I export `g.gisenv` or eval `g.gisenv`
first?

Eric,

I don't know how you are testing, but these are only available from within a GRASS environment. They show up running g.gisenv. They are not shell variables.

Michael