On Mar 19, 2008, at 7:11 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:08:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Robert Szczepanek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [GRASS-dev] New GRASS icons
To: grass-dev@lists.osgeo.org

Michael Barton wrote:

First draft is on my web page
http://www.szczepanek.pl/icons.grass/

The new display/erase/and zoom-back icons don't seem like they would
be as informative to a user (i.e., with the checkerboard pattern) as
to what they do.

Michael

I agree with you Michael and I'am still looking for better symbols.
Those two first icons will be difficult is we want to express them
precisely.
Is there significant difference for the user between >display< and >redraw<?

There is in TclTk, but I think it is heading toward going away in wxPython (opinions Martin??)

Second step for new icons:
http://www.szczepanek.pl/icons.grass/index.php#2
Please take a look at >layer< and symbols for general actions.

Here's my reaction. Basic idea of action icons as modifiers is very good.

Add, delete, redraw, more options - great

New - I don't know. But I don't know what a good icon for "new" would be. "*" as a modifier may be as good as it gets. "+" on a "folder"?

Open, save - make sense. But open folder and disk icons have become very widely recognized.

Import, export - look like they mean "forward" and "back". What about arrow partly overlapping a folder? Arrowhead pointing towards folder and overlapping it (tail extending beyond the folder) for import and reverse for export? Something along those lines?

Previous, next - a little hard to see (maybe easier with color), but elegant and easy to understand.

Layers: Most GIS people (I think) tend to see maps and layers as rectangular so that the edge of the layer lines up with the edge of the screen. So the diamond is less easy to understand in the abstract. Perhaps color will make it obvious. If so, it is an elegant design. I'd go with the left one over the right one.

I really appreciate you doing this and that you are doing it with such careful thought as to usability and attractive design.

Michael

Robert