On Aug 11, 2008, at 6:04 PM, Glynn Clements wrote:

Michael Barton wrote:

I'm in the process of creating a new GUI for creating raster color
tables, and ran into a couple of function ideas that would be helpful
in the context of a GUI wrapper and (I think) for other users.

1) I realized that there is no simple way to 'export' an existing
color table to a standard color table rules file, although r.info can
take a rules file and turn it into a color table. You can copy a color
table between raster files, but it also would be handy to be able to
export one.

Added as r.colors.out.

Thanks much.

In trunk? Backported to develbranch_6?

2) Since the various d.* modules are in redevelopment, one idea that
seems handy would be to be able to explicitly apply a color table
during display

e.g.: d.rast map=nice_raster colortable=nice_colors.txt

This way, a map could be displayed with multiple color tables without
overwriting a default color table. The same concept might also be
applied to vectors.

This could be useful, but it essentially means adding a copy of
r.colors to each of d.rast and d.vect.

Essentially, the only part of r.colors which wouldn't be used in such
a situation is the final call to G_write_colors(). Oh; you probably
wouldn't want the code to deal with interactive prompting, but that
should arguably be removed from r.colors for 7.x.

Of course, you could further reduce the amount of code by eliminating
various features (e.g. using the colour table from another map, log
and hist-eq scaling, etc), but that just create more cases where you
would still need to use e.g. r.colors + d.rast separately.

Good points. I didn't know how much code from r.colors would or would not be necessary to include.

Michael