On 17/04/09 16:53, Markus Metz wrote:
For r.out.gdal, there was discussion about not to override user options and instead issue an error or a warning (going for error now) that the nodata value is out of range. Currently, all default nodata values are within the range of the selected GDAL data type. User-defined nodata values are tested whether they are within the range of the selected data type, if not, r.out.gdal in trunk and devbr6 exits with an error message. r.out.gdal also exits with an error message if the nodata value is present in the raster to be exported in order to avoid data loss. This is a rather strict and conservative approach because of the reported problems with nodata in r.out.gdal exports.

In the current state is there a possibility of using gdal's acceptance of unvalid nodata ? And can we force a nodata value which exists in the map ?

I would agree with Dylan that this kind of brute-force method should remain possible, be it through the suggested -f flag. I'm always wary of programs that assume they know better than you what you want ;-)

Moritz