David,

If you come from a hydraulics background… one very important need is the ability to generate channel cross-sections interactively for, say, HEC-RAS and then do flood inundation mapping from HEC-RAS from the modeling results — I would think this would be a huge contribution.

Regards,
Tom

David Townshend wrote:
Hi all

I am looking for some advice for a master's thesis. My field is civil engineering (water, to be specific), but my interest is software and I'd like to do something that would support open source, and be fun for me, i.e. some programming. I've had a couple of ideas so far, e.g. grass modules for floodline analysis, possibly based on cfd. But I'd like to do something that would be useful to the Grass development team. So does anyone have any suggestions of software I can write, which would be technical enough to satisfy the requirements of a masters thesis and support Grass development?

David

Thomas E Adams
National Weather Service
Ohio River Forecast Center