Martin:
> > Proj info should be saved in head file similarly to rasters
> > (cellhd).

ok; as long as we can confirm that it is not already written to the
'coor' file or similar..

> > As I noted earlier Vect_open_*() should check if proj
> > info in the head file differs from location settings and
> > at least to print some warning about this mismatch.

we have to accommodate all of the grass 6 and 7 maps created so far with
only partly populated proj,zone numbers so for now to keep it from getting
too noisy (unset != set) would go to a G_debug() message and (setA != setB)
would get the G_warning|error message.  Step 1 is to ensure it is written
when the map is created/imported for all future maps. I wouldn't have it
apply the current location's proj code to a file if it is missing, only
if creating a new map or importing an existing map (and in that case the
value should come from v.in.ogr, unless -o).

Markus M:
> It would not require a lot of modifications. First of all,
> projection info would need to be written to the head file.

done in r50462 (trunk only)

> Even though projection info is stored in struct Map_info, it is
> neither read from nor written to the header.

value read from vector/MAP/head (if present): todo. (I'm out of time)

Hamish