On 01/03/12 20:02, Benjamin Ducke wrote:
I believe we are thinking in different directions here.
My idea was not about _least_ cost paths, but about
replacing straight-line distance measurements with
cost-based distances -- for more realism when modelling
physical processes.

Yes, but how to define the distance if not by finding the least-cost path. As soon as you do not use straight-line distance anymore, you have to decide of which path you want to calculate the distance, and in order to make this decision, you generally use the least-cost path.

What I was thinking about was to have just one CONST
raster that encodes the cost of moving through each
of its cells (in all directions in the simple
isotropic case).

All GRASS modules that use fixed neighborhoods or
flexible search radii would then measure the distance
between two points by accumulating the costs in the
cells on the straight line between the two points.

So what you actually mean is somehow weight the distance by costs that can be found along the straigh-line path.

Suppose the user has created a COST raster with "1"
representing "no additional cost" and "2" representing
"doubled cost for crossing steep terrain". Then if
he/she specified 100 m as e.g. the search radius for
a KDE, the maximum search distance will in some
extreme cases already be reached after approximately
50 m, because those 50 cost as much as 100 m on flat
terrain. That would make the kernel's shape flexible
and adjusted to the real terrain, instead of a fixed
circle.

The same idea translates 1:1 to IDW, r.neighbors, etc.

Well, in IDW if you decide to use the 12 "nearest" points, how would you decide this ? Maybe point A is "further" in terms of costs along a straight line than B, but if you use the least-cost path A might still be "closer"...

Moritz