On 11/21/2012 10:46 PM, Helmut Kudrnovsky wrote:
Your suggestion to use r.recode was spot on. It not only avoids the
mentioned limitations, it is also
faster. (and it really is also much simpler).
maybe something for the wiki (http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Main_Page)?
I am not sure where and what you would like to have mentioned on the Wiki? I think this whole issue was an example of bad scripting from my side (or perhaps it is better to call it a learning experience ;-)), in which I used a tool (graph function) that was definitely not the most appropriate or even easiest one. I did learn more about a few different tools and their limitations. One of the 'limitations' I often encounter is the (different) format of the output of the different modules, although with some regular expression wizardry a lot is possible as the example by Glyn in another email tread on 'Get min and max value of the ranges reported by r.stats' shows. That is perhaps a possibility, a page on http://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Documents with an overview of different ways to deal with output from different functions (especially those outputs that cannot be easily imported in e.g., a spreadsheet or R)? But that could be the subject of another email thread :-)

-----
best regards
Helmut