1 - Find a faster CPU machine with 16Gb RAM and a SSD for a start, it
will be better,
Also if you have the opportunity check that the RAM is a 1800MHz one,
details like this may actually add your computation performance.

2 - Cut in pieces (See Markus Comment about supercomputing) and run 4
quads on 4 CPUs instead of one large image in one CPU.

3 - Recode i.segment to work natively on heterogeneous computers...
(would be fun!)

Good luck!

----