On 09/11/13 17:23, Pietro Zambelli wrote:
On Thursday 07 Nov 2013 09:25:21 you wrote:
I'm doing something wrong or is it a bug?

I thought that maybe you forgot to use the type parameter, but I
just tried in the NC dataset and can confirm your issue.

ok, the bug should be fixed in r58179, at the end it was much easier
than I thought.

Please test the v.category module, to be sure that I've not introduced
new bugs. :-)

I know that it can be annoying to have to create new maps, but at
the same time it is a failsafe that makes sure that even if you
make a mistake in the call to v.category, you still keep your
original data.

yes, it is particularly annoying, because the GRASS db driver is
pretty slow copying data from one table to another. Maybe we should
add a flag that skip to copy the attribute tables.

That could be an option, yes.

On the other hand, the tables are already there, we need only to link
the geometry features to the existing table.

No, if we have a new map it should use a different attribute table than the old map.

Anyone against this new flag/option?

I'm not against the flag as it seems a reasonable option to me, but I think that the performance issue should be solved as well. From what I see in the code, I have the feeling that v.category might be bitten by the same "bug"/problem as the one Hamish just reported for v.what.rast [1], so possibly it is feasible to improve the performance.

Moritz

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2131