Dear Pietro,

On 07/01/14 18:33, Pietro Zambelli wrote:
Dear all,

Some news about the machine learning classification of image segments.

Thanks for the great work !!!

Just a few questions/comments:

     3. v.stats [r58637] => Extract statistics from a vector map
        (statistics about shape and about raster maps).
        v.stats internally use (in grass-addons):
         - v.area.stats [r58636] => extract some statistics about
           the shape (in grass-addons);

Looking at the code of v.area.stats, I don't understand what it does differently than v.to.db, except that it outputs all indicators in one go. I think it would be better to avoid module inflation and maybe either make v.area.stats into a script that calls v.to.db several times to collect the different variables, or modify v.to.db to allow upload/output of several variables at once (see [1]).

         - v.to.rast => re-convert the vector to a raster map using the
           vector categories to be sure that there is a correspondence
           between vector and raster categories (zones).
         - r.univar2 [r58439] => extract some general statistics from
           raster using the zones (consume much less memory than
           r.univar, and compute more general statistics like:
           skewness, kurtosis, and mode (in grass-addons);

What is the difference between your r.univar2 and the original r.univar ? Couldn't your modifications be merged directly into r.univar ?

     4. v.class.ml [r58638] => classify a vector map, at the moment
         only a supervisionate classification is tested/supported.
         To select the segment that must use for training the different
         machine-learning techniques you can define a training
         map using the g.gui.iclass.
         The v.class.ml module can:
         - extract the training,
         - balance and scale the training set;
         - optimize the training set;
         - test several machine learning techniques;
         - explore the SVC domain;
         - export the accuracy of different ML to a csv file;
         - find and export the optimum training set,
         - classify the vector map using several ML techniques and
           export to a new layer of the vector map with the results
           of the classification;
         - export the classification results to several raster maps,
           the vector map coming from a segment raster map is too
           big to be exported to a shape file (the limit for a shape file
           is 4Gb [0]).

Wow, this looks great ! I'll test this as soon as possible.

         The module accept as input a python file with a list of custom
         classifiers defined by the user, and support both:
         scikit-learn[1] and mlpy[2] libraries.

Known Issues:
* not all the classifiers are working (but I hope to be able to fix this
during the next weeks);
* so far, only a supervised classification is supported.

What would be needed to make unsupervised classification work ?

Moritz

[1] https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/ticket/2123