On 25/04/14 09:36, Markus Metz wrote:
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 5:18 AM, Glynn Clements
<gl...@gclements.plus.com> wrote:

Martin Landa wrote:

It's easier to check if the file is a python script and if so than
to force to use bundled version of Python.

So long as I have commit access, GRASS isn't going to be "forcing" the
use of a non-system Python.

But an existing system Python on MS Windows can change or disappear
any time, and a GRASS installation will not be notified about this
change.

I am not opposed to using the system's Python, I just don't trust it.

But that's exactly the same on any OS, including GNU/Linux. It is up to the user/sysadmin/packagers to ensure that Python is installed. But I can uninstall Python at any time on my system and GRASS will never be notified.

So the issue is that for historical reasons of usage, we don't want the Windows user to have that responsibility, while we trust the Linux user with it, partly because he is helped by packagers.

Moritz