On 22-07-14 22:58, Glynn Clements wrote:
Markus Neteler wrote:

- if the user needs reproducability, then have a env var to enable that.
And when issue of usability doesn't even get considered until a few
years later when the user (or a colleague) gets an email suggesting
the results can't be be reproduced ...?

I'm inclined to add both an option (to specify a seed, replacing the
environment variable) and a flag (to seed from the system clock or
whatever), and having the PRNG generate a fatal error if neither of
those are used.

That way, neither of the likely problems can arise by oversight.

I guess there is a lot to say for both approaches, which is why I think the suggestion of Markus is a very good one! +1 from me