On 29.01.2015 18:49, Moritz Lennert wrote:

### Mapset

"A Mapset contains GIS data. Every Location automatically has one Mapset named PERMANENT that also contains projection information for the Location."

Maybe add a little about use of mapsets:

"A Mapset is a subdirectory of a location and contains GIS data.
Mapsets are used to organise the data into coherent subsets (by
project, user, or other systems). Every Location automatically has one
Mapset named PERMANENT that also contains projection information for
the Location."

Proposing slightly different wording:

"A Mapset is a subdirectory inside a Location and contains geospatial data. Mapsets are useful in organising the data into coherent subsets (by project, user, or other thematic units)."

If we don't have enough space, I'd just drop the last sentence about
the PERMANENT mapset.

[Looking at this I actually makes me think about the real need for
'PERMANENT'. Couldn't the location-relevant files just be stored in
(possible hidden files directly in the location directory ? Or do we
want to keep the notion of permanent data vs modifiable data for
educational purpose ? Then again, I don't really want to open
Pandora's box at this stage of the release process... ;-) ]

Using the PERMANENT Mapset as a safety-pool, for all of the "raw" data, isn't a bad idea as well. Copy then elsewhere and play along. I do it most of the times. It saves time to re-import stuff, for example, if a map is irreversibly modified. Which is a matter of time to happen (and not a question of "will it happen?"). At the end of a project's life-cycle, stuff can be cleaned.

Nikos