On 11/05/15 23:48, Anna Petrášová wrote:

On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Paulo van Breugel

    On Mon, May 11, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Anna Petrášová
    <kratocha...@gmail.com <mailto:kratocha...@gmail.com>> wrote:

        Hi,

        I just realized how g.region zoom actually works and I am
        wondering if it is supposed to be obvious. I always thought it
        will set the region to the raster map minimum bounding box, but
        it takes current region and only shrinks it. The behavior is
        written in the manual (I eventually realized), but it doesn't
        strike me as particularly useful.

    What for example if you want to restrict calculations to the region
    defined by the non-null values of a particular map that has a
    different resolution than the maps you are using in your calculations?

I am not concerned with resolution but extent. I was mostly confused
from the case when I have region smaller than the extent of the raster
(from previous computation) and then I expected g.region zoom  to set
the region on the whole raster extent, but instead it shrinks even more
if there are nulls or it stays the same. So the result of the g.region
zoom depends on you previous region settings which was unexpected for me.

        At least I would suggest to change the g.region zoom behavior in
        the GUI -> right click on layer -> Set computational region from
        selected map (ignore NULLS) to:

        g.region raster=map zoom=map

    That does indeed seems the more obvious / intuitive behaviour to me

I will do that, thanks!

I'm always tempted to actually propose to remove that option totally from the right-click menu as I find that it often confuses users (maybe the description is not clear enough), but I agree that if we want to leave it, then your version sounds more intuitive.

Moritz