On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 at 14:02, Moritz Lennert
<mlenn...@club.worldonline.be> wrote:

> Hi,

Hi,

> It was great seeing some of you last night via jitsi !
>
> In the context of the discussion of "location" vs "project", several of us
> pointed to the fact that we organize our data into locations by reference
> system with mapsets as project directories. PERMANENT (and other mapsets) can
> then be used for data that is common to many projects and can thus be
> accessed read-only from their respective mapsets. This helps avoiding data
> duplication across projects.
>
> In the perspective where each location is a project we this would somehow get
> lost, as this concept invites duplication into each project.
>
> However, Luca raised an interesting point in the chat which we didn't get to
> discuss: it might be possible to define some mechanism to make data in one
> location readable from another location as long as they are in the same SRS.
> An easy and dirty way is obviously to just use symbolic links as Luca seemed
> to suggest, but that means there is no control over the actual correspondence
> of location definitions. Also I don't know how cross-platform this would be.
>
> But maybe we could take this idea and create a more sophisticated mechanism,
> extending g.mapsets to allow creating a read-only access to mapsets even
> outside the current location, as long as the reference systems are identical
> (would just requiring the PROJ files to be identical be enough ? Too
> restrictive ?).
>
> This would possibly allow to go further in the idea of organizing data by
> projects instead of locations, while also keeping
> the idea of avoiding data duplication (people could create base data projects
> with data common to many projects).
>
> How does that sound ?

I support any idea that could be useful for GRASS, and I think project
could bring more users, however I would like to continue to work as I
do today and I think this is the main idea of Vaclav, if I understood
correctly.
If we want switch to project I think we should remove all the
references to Location (in doc and code)

--
ciao
Luca

www.lucadelu.org