On 31/03/14 10:34, Markus Neteler wrote:
On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 10:24 AM, Moritz Lennert
<mlenn...@club.worldonline.be> wrote:
The initial idea was to create a tech-preview release of grass7, not an
official 7.0 release. Has that changed during the sprint ?

No, this is what happened: beta1 (called like this to maintain
consistency with previous pre-releases).

I did see that, but for me a beta release is a first version of what will be a final grass7.0 release. A tech-preview, in my understanding, is more of a snapshot of an ongoing development branch.

But if the general feeling is that we can actually release a grass7.0 by the summer or early autumn, then let's do it.

See also (pls improve that page!):
http://trac.osgeo.org/grass/wiki/Release/7.0.0beta-News

If we only do a tech release, I don't think we really need a releasebranch.
Just a short (max 2 weeks) commit freeze to trunk to make sure everything
compiles and runs as expected (with known bugs) and then release.

This is likely causing more work than it helps. but we can see how it evolves.

I think it creates more work during the short freeze, but avoids the need of multiplying branches.

If the procedure is clear and the calendar is agreed upon and all devs collaborate then it shouldn't be too much trouble.

Moritz