There are ongoing issues with various windows incarnations of GRASS. Cygwin has had some issues with large files and higher memory addressing pretty much since its incarnation (I wrestled with this quite a bit a few years back). You might want to try the new grass binary that relies on mingw, I've seen my memory spike higher than 1gb during some analyses... or, install unix someplace!

--j

Luigi Ponti wrote:
Hello,

As a less-than-two-year old cygwin/GRASS user, I have never seen virtual memory going over 1 GB while doing intensive computations with GRASS (e.g., v.surf.idw interpolation). I haven't found much on the topic in the web so I tried the following to increase virtual memory available to cygwin:

but noticed no difference and so I am wondering whether cygwin/GRASS gets compiled with the -mno-cygwin flag that apparently allows programs to allocate up to 1920 MBytes:
http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2005-04/msg01309.html

Does anybody has experience with this?

Thanks and regards,

Luigi

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar
Center for Spatial Technologies and Remote Sensing (CSTARS)
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
The Barn, Room 250N
Davis, CA 95616
Cell: 415-794-5043
AIM: jgrn307, MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED], Gchat: jgrn307