Markus Neteler wrote:
On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 11:34 PM, andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello all

 I'm wanting to obtain image files with which to start proceeding beyond
 the spearfish files that are the default.

there is a new dataset available: OSGeo Edu dataset, North Carolina
http://www.grassbook.org/data_menu3rd.php

Specifically, I'm looking for  images for the UK.

It's not easy to find free European data. What do you specifically look for?
Some pointers:

http://openaerialmap.org/
http://www.openstreetmap.org/
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Geodata_Repository

Best
Markus

Thanks Markus

I'll follow those links to see what I can come up with. I am looking particularly for images for SE London, but these do seem quite hard to locate. I was under the impression the British Ordinance Survey office had released their data to the public domain since we pay for it in our taxes, but I could be wrong.

If anything else occurs to you or others on this list, please don't be shy about letting me know.

Many thanks

Andy

--

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the
answers." - Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"