Markus Neteler pisze:
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Manuel Sangiao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi grasslist,

I have a MIF/MID file with city names of europa. I have imported this one
into GRASS

I suppose you used v.in.ogr?

and I've worked with the layer in sqlite.
Did you see characters in GRASS properly (i.e with national characters?
what was the encoding of Mapinfo files?. As I remeber Mapinfo files code chars in natiolnal standards (for example for polish it is often windows 1250) mid is comma separated ascii file try tu check his encoding - if it is UTF-8 try to use postgreSQL instead SQLIte

Then I have exported
the layer to shp and then I notice that the german, polish and other special
characters have disappeared.

I suppose you used v.out.ogr?

I'm not sure, but probably in the source data (the MIF/MID file) the city
names are encoded with the correspondent language code.

Have someone any idea, how can I resolve this problem?

I think that this might be an OGR problem (found for example
http://www.nabble.com/Encoding-in-ogr2ogr-td10168817.html#a10168817
).

Could you try to convert it via ogr2ogr to see if the accented characters
survive? If yes, it's a GRASS problem, then we need to check that. If
not, please report to the GDAL mailing list then.

Markus