On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Markus Neteler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Rainer,
>
> I suggest to try the snap parameters of v.in.ogr first. Maybe the SHAPE
> file is full of gaps and slivers (commonly found, even in governmental
> data).
> *Small* snapping values might cure it. Be careful to not snap, say,
> Africa to a triangle :)
>
> Markus

Thanks Markus,

but the information is there. If I display the layer and select
layer=2, I see the overlapping areas, and if I click i=on them to get
information (v.what -a [EMAIL PROTECTED] ...), I get the following
info:

East: 255207.46888
North: 6235456.43154

Map: fireHistory
Mapset: simulation
Type: Centroid
Line: 3202
Layer: 1
Category: 4

Driver: dbf
Database: /home/rkrug/Documents/Projects/AlienSpread/R/../grass/simulation/dbf/
Table: fireHistory
Key column: cat
cat : 4
YEAR : 2005
Layer: 1
Category: 178

Driver: dbf
Database: /home/rkrug/Documents/Projects/AlienSpread/R/../grass/simulation/dbf/
Table: fireHistory
Key column: cat
cat : 178
YEAR : 1993
Layer: 1
Category: 208

Driver: dbf
Database: /home/rkrug/Documents/Projects/AlienSpread/R/../grass/simulation/dbf/
Table: fireHistory
Key column: cat
cat : 208
YEAR : 1995
Layer: 2
Category: 3   <<---

and the one value marked by <<-- is the one which IO want to extract
into a raster or vector map.
Even if I do

v.extract [EMAIL PROTECTED] output=fires
type=point,line,boundary,area layer=2

it gives me the areas, but no associated attribute table.