I'm pretty sure that this is a Vista issue, though one that has been solved in 6.4.

Michael

On Jan 14, 2009, at 7:33 PM, Matt wrote:

Ken,
You are not alone.  I tried the thematic vector example on page 171 of
Neteler & Mitasova and also encountered the "You must open a display
monitor" message.  I'm running 6.3.0-4 on Vista.
Matt

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Moritz Lennert