Thanks.
I see I missed that output file goes first.

I would have thought a 3d shape file has coordinate system embedded in it. Otherwise the only info I have is that it is NAD83 UTM Zone 10. Indeed, ogrinfo says Layer SRS WKT: (unknown)

I looked on the spatialreference.org website and I have 3 choices. 3717(which I think it is not, as this shp file was made in 2006, 3740, and 26910. How do I guess?