On 18/02/09 16:09, Michael Barton wrote:

On Feb 18, 2009, at 7:55 AM, <grass-user-requ...@lists.osgeo.org> wrote:

Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:40:43 +0100
From: Moritz Lennert <mlenn...@club.worldonline.be>
Subject: Re: [GRASS-user] Display output question
To: grass-user@lists.osgeo.org

Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:40:52 +1100
From: Richard Chirgwin <rchirg...@ozemail.com.au>
Subject: [GRASS-user] Display output question
To: GRASS user list <grass-user@lists.osgeo.org>

Hi all,

What's the command-line equivalent to using the JPG export in the
display manager? (I would like to script outputs from a number of
workspace - GRC - files).

Cheers,
Richard

What happens in TclTk is that the display output is set to a PPM file
instead of monitor. Then any d.* command creates a graphic file. The
display graphic file is then converted to a jpeg. The latter can be done
by a variety of programs, including gdal-translate.

In wxPython, the display can be saved in a number of different formats
using wxPython drivers.

Yes, but AFAIK, you cannot easily use the contents of a .grc or .gxw
file for scripting. You would have to parse the file with relevant tools
(awk, sed or an xml parser for gxw) and then apply these options to the
d.* commands using the cairo or PNG "monitor" to create a PNG file.

In the TclTk GUI, you could save the content of the Output window after
having displayed your workspace and filter out the d.* commands. In the
wxGUI this is not possible anymore, AFAICT.

It might be worth thinking about a module that translates workspace
files into d.* commands...

Moritz

If you want to replicate a complex display with overlaying maps it is more complicated than this even. The maps need to be composited. We use g.pnmcomp. The input is a series of PNM maps and optionally their transparency masks; the output is a single, composite PNM file. I assumed (incorrectly perhaps?) that Richard was asking how to send a d.* output to a file instead of a display.

Well, if that's it, than it is very easy, and, as long as you don't need transparency, very easy, no need to mess with g.pnmcomp:

export GRASS_PNGFILE=mymap.png
export GRASS_RENDER_IMMEDIATE=TRUE
export GRASS_PNG_READ=TRUE

d.rast
d.vect
etc

Et voilĂ , your composite map is in mymap.png.

The difficult part is about "scripting the output of workspace files"...

Moritz