Casey,

I was very interested in your original email, so I tried to track down the GRASS modules mentioned in the paper you cited. As it turns out the authors have written several related papers. While I was able to obtain the other papers, I could not locate the software. So, I emailed the authors (Shinji Masumoto) and just got a response. Unfortunately, the authors are unwilling to release the software into the public domain. I have not specifically tried NVIZ visualization as you describe, but I think the 3rd Ed. of "Open Source GIS: A GRASS GIS Approach" covers how to create 3D vectors which can be brought into NVIZ to produce what you need.

Regards,
Tom

Casey Vandenberg wrote:
I was wondering if anybody is familiar with ways of plotting drill hole data in Grass (i.e. to visualize in NVIZ or to manage attributes, query etc...) based on point features with known dip, strike and azimuth angles.

I have come across a paper (Development of Visualization Tools for Geologic Information on Grass GIS) which seems to do just that, however as far as I can tell it has not been released or provided to the Grass Community.

If anybody is familiar with anything else, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Casey

Thomas E Adams
National Weather Service